What Are Hiccups?
Hiccups are sudden, short and uncontrolled contractions of the diaphragm muscle. Since the diaphragm muscle contracts frequently and repeatedly, then the hole between the vocal cords locked to check the inflow of air and makes the hiccup noise. The annoyance of the nerves that expand from the neck to the chest can cause hiccups. There is no clear reason for occurring hiccups but these are associated with a variety of diseases, like pneumonia or kidney failure etc. Hiccups may also cause some health problems like pronunciation changes or interference with sleeping and eating.
What Causes Hiccups?
There are so many conditions associated with hiccups, but no shows the actual cause of hiccups. The following conditions are-
- A person can swallow air along with food if he or she eats too fast and end up with the hiccups.
- A person can also swallow air by smoking or chewing gum and get hiccups.
- Some problems with liver such as infection or swelling can cause irritation of the diaphragm and cause hiccups.
- Tension and fear can cause both long and short-term hiccups.
- Some chronic medical disorder such as brain stroke, kidney failure, pneumonia etc. can also cause hiccups.
Hiccuping is one of the main symptoms. Other symptoms of hiccups may include tight sensation in chest, abdomen and throat. some people may also suffer fatigue, vomiting and high blood pressure etc.
How to Cure and Stop Hiccups?
Since you know that hiccups are the unexpected and uncontrolled condition, so it very important for you to know How To Stop Hiccups–
- Hold your breath.
- Hug your knees.
- Drink a glass of water quickly.
- Pull hard on your tongue.
- Gargle with water.
- Compress your chest.
- Bite on a lemon.
- Use smelling salts.
- Breathe into a paper bag.
- Place 1 teaspoon of dry sugar on the back of the tongue.
By following above suggestion and home remedies, you will quickly get rid of hiccups. But if it will not stop after 1-2 days then immediately visit your doctor and take proper medical treatment.